Skip to main content
c11000b50ad77e53646fcfdbc248e060.jpg

ARRESTED AGAIN: Pizza Deliveryman Arrested By ICE At Brooklyn Military Base Jailed on Domestic Violence Charges

An Ecuadorian pizza deliveryman who was held up as an example of zealous U.S. immigration enforcement has been arrested in a domestic violence case.

A criminal complaint alleges that Pablo Villavicencio pushed his wife against a wall, slapped her and grabbed her phone to keep her from calling police last Thursday at the couple’s Hempstead, Long Island home.

He was arraigned Saturday on a misdemeanor charge and remained jailed Monday afternoon.

His attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Villavicencio was detained on June 1 after delivering pizza to the Fort Hamilton Army base in Brooklyn. He was seeking to establish legal residency and overcome a 2010 order to leave the country. His wife and two young daughters are U.S. citizens.

Earlier this month, the government declined to appeal the July decision freeing him.

“The federal government is admitting what we already knew — there was absolutely no legitimate reason to lock Mr. Villavicencio up and take him away from his family,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, said at the time. The governor’s office did not immediately respond Monday to phone and email requests for comment.

When he ordered the release of Villavicencio over the summer, U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty said he didn’t believe the detention was “accidental or random.”

“It should not be difficult to discern that families should be kept together rather than be separated by the thoughtless and cruel application of a so called ‘zero-tolerance’ policy,” Crotty wrote. “This is especially so where the organization seeking removal has also provided a pathway for a person in petitioner’s position to regularize his immigration status with minimal disruption to his family life.”

The judge added Villavicencio “deserves it due to his hard work, his dedication to the family, and his clean criminal record.”

Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered the “zero-tolerance” policy in April. More than 2,500 children were separated from their parents after the Trump administration adopted the policy to criminally prosecute every adult who entered the country illegally. Hundreds of parents were deported without their children.

Trump signed an executive order halting the “zero-tolerance” policy in June , but is considering new options to create deterrents for immigrant families coming to America.

(AP)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *